Having dogs at home is a real pleasure, but it can also be a headache, sometimes, if they have not received the necessary education to relieve themselves outside the home.
If you have a carpet at home and your dog has had an accident on it, you certainly need to know how to get old dog poop stains out of carpet. That is why we have prepared for you this article that will bring you many benefits to maintain order and cleanliness at home.
How to Get Old Dog Poop Stains Out of Carpet
To remove old dog poop stains from carpet, you don’t need much. The cleaning materials from your toiletries drawer is enough to do the job.
What you need
- Warm water
- Disposable gloves
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
- Clean cloths
- Sponge or a soft bristle brush
The following are just 5 simple tips to make your carpet look shiny. It is very important to follow one by one so that the bad smell and the stain disappear completely. Each step should be applied no matter what type of pet. Let’s roll up your sleeves and start:
- The first thing to do is remove the poop from the carpet. To do this, use a spatula and disposable gloves. We know that it is not a very pleasant task, but the objective is not to spread the poop over more parts of the carpet, this may later make the task difficult.
- Take some warm water and put a few drops of ammonia in it, mix the substances well. Then take another container and in it, add a little warm water.
- Now take a sponge or a soft bristle brush, and put on the stained area a little of the mixture you have prepared of water with ammonia. Then take the sponge and wipe it again but with clean water from the other container. Go through this procedure several times.
- Okay now take some baking soda and sprinkle it on the affected area of the carpet. Let it act for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, rub a clean cloth over the area and let it dry completely, you will see how the poop stain on the carpet has been removed. In any case, make sure you know what type of carpet you have, because if it is wool you should know how to clean wool carpets and their special care.
How to Clean Dog Diarrhea Off Wool Carpet
If you find dog diarrhea on your wool carpet, you should clean it up as soon as possible to save your carpet. If the diarrhea dries up, you will need a more vigorous cleaning regimen. Dog diarrhea will also leave an unpleasant smell on your carpet that you will need to treat.
- Put on latex gloves to protect your hands. Open a garbage bag and keep it nearby so that any remaining stool does not accidentally fall into the area around your house.
- Combine one part water with one part white vinegar in a bowl.
- Remove excess residue from the carpet with paper towels. Do not press down on the carpet, as this will introduce the stool into the fibers. Put the dirty paper towels in the garbage bag.
- Scrape up the stool with a butter knife. Remove as much of the dry stool as possible, but not too hard because you could remove fibers from the carpet.
- Pour the vinegar solution over the diarrhea stain. Blot the solution off the carpet with paper towels until all excess liquid is absorbed.
- Add more vinegar solution to the spot if the stain is still visible. Keep blotting the spot until the stain is removed. Place the garbage bag in an outside container.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the spot to remove any lingering odors. Let the baking soda sit for two to three hours. Vacuum the area carefully to remove the baking soda.
How to Disinfect Carpet After Dog Poop
To disinfect the carpet after cleaning, pour a small amount (following the label directions) of Enzyme Carpet Cleaner directly onto the area. These shampoos are specially formulated to clean pet stains and other biological stains.
Look for it in pet stores and in the pet cleaning area of supermarkets. Any carpet shampoo could discolor the carpet or dull its colors, so you should try a small area first.
How to Prevent Dog from Pooping on Carpet
Of course, it is very important to educate your dog about the places where they should relieve themself. All you have to do is spend time with them and teach them. In the end, you will avoid this process again and your house will maintain its cleanliness and good smell for a longer time.
A hack to prevent future accidents is to spray some chemical deterrent (like the Bodhit Dog Not Here!) on the carpet.