Urine stains not only look ugly, but they also smell extremely unpleasant. Learn how to get human urine out of carpet with the right tips and home remedies.
Anyone who has small children will surely know it. At some point, one or the other mishap happens and the annoying smell of urine spreads. Here you should act quickly and remove the urine, as quickly as possible before it sticks to the floor or textiles.
However, yellow urine stains are not always easy to find, especially if they are in corners or behind the sofa, or in other hard-to-reach places. Oftentimes, you will only find these stains after investigating the unpleasant smell. The older the stain, the more unpleasant it smells and the harder it is to remove the stain.
- 1 Immediate Measures for Urine Stains
- 2 How to Get Human Urine Out of Carpet with Home Remedies
- 3 How to Get Human Urine Out of Carpet with Carpet Cleaner
Immediate Measures for Urine Stains
In the case of fresh urine stains, you should quickly take some immediate measures to be able to remove them later more easily. Proceed as follows:
- Place kitchen towels or cloths on the stain and soak up as much liquid as possible.
- Then sprinkle salt, rice or cat litter on the urine stain to soak up the liquid that has already penetrated deeper. After about 10 minutes, remove it with a rag.
How to Get Human Urine Out of Carpet with Home Remedies
If you don’t have a special cleaner at home at the moment, it is best to remove the urine odor from the carpet with the following home remedies.
Neutralize the smell of urine with vinegar
- Use a self-mixed vinegar solution or cleaning vinegar and soak a cloth with it.
- Now dab off the urine stains and wash them off the carpet.
- To avoid the formation of edges, it helps to wipe with distilled water.
- After cleaning, let the carpet dry completely.
Baking soda against urine odor
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) has an odor neutralizing effect, which is why it can work wonders for removing urine odor.
- First, wash the urine stains off the carpet with a little dishwashing liquid and water, and then sprinkle baking soda on the affected area.
- It should act for several hours depending on the amount of urine. Then wash it off with clean water.
Alternatively, you could use a little water and baking soda to make a cleaning paste that you can use to clean the carpet.
Remove urine from carpets with detergent
It is not only the laundry that is cleaned with detergent. You can also use it as a cleaning agent for your carpet.
- Simply mix some detergent with water (it shouldn’t foam too much) and treat the stains.
- Then wash off the detergent residue thoroughly with water to prevent it from hardening in the carpet.
Clean the carpet with alcohol
If you don’t have another home remedy at hand, use clear vodka to remove the urine odor from the carpet. Use it as a cleaning agent and then wash thoroughly with clean water.
How to Get Human Urine Out of Carpet with Carpet Cleaner
In the drugstore you will find special foam cleaners with which you can also remove urine stains from the carpet.
Unlike the foam cleaners, these products do not remove the dirt, but the odor. They contain enzyme-decomposing components that break down the protein in the urine and thus eliminate the odor.
So pre-treat the stain first, then spray it with an odor remover to get rid of the urine odor.
Steam cleaner and vacuum cleaner against dried urine stains
With some carpets, the odor of urine penetrates so deeply into the fabric that they hardly stand a chance with superficial cleaning methods. Special cleaning devices such as vacuum cleaners or steam cleaners are therefore better to remove dried urine stains.
These penetrate deep into the fibers and remove odors and bacteria there. If you often struggle with urine on carpets and upholstered furniture, it is probably worth buying your own device. Otherwise, you can usually borrow one by the hour or by the day at the hardware store.
Air dry to completely neutralize urine odor
After cleaning, the carpet should dry well. It is best to hang it out of the window or on a pole so that the underside is also dry. The fresh air and the sun will do the rest to completely remove the urine odor. However, you should note that strong colors can be faded by sunlight.
As you can see, there are quite a few different ways and home remedies to remove urine stains and get rid of the odors that come with them. Try it out. You will be amazed!