If you want to add some style and elegance to your home, then you should consider hanging curtains from the ceiling. It is an excellent way to bring a new look to your room without having to spend a lot of money.
You can easily hang curtains from the ceiling using a simple curtain track. The only thing you need to do is to find a suitable place where you can install the track.
If you are looking for ideas on how to hang curtains from drop ceilings, then this article is for you.
- 1 How To Hang Curtains From Drop Ceiling
- 2 Tips for Hanging Curtains From Drop Ceiling
- 3 How Much Weight Can You Hang From a Drop Ceiling?
How To Hang Curtains From Drop Ceiling
Although you cannot drill into drop ceilings, you can still hang curtains from them. Attaching a curtain track to a drop ceiling may be easier than hanging the rod to a wall, but you do need to use special clamps and cartridges. These clamps attach to the metal frame that holds the drop ceilings in place. The frame supports the weight of the drop ceiling tiles. You don’t need to use any power tools for this.
What You Need
Before starting work on the drop ceiling, we need to consider the following materials necessary for the project.
- Measuring tape
- Curtain track
- Curtain track drop ceiling clamps
- Curtain track ceiling cartridges
- Curtain hooks
Step 1 – Measure the Length of the Ceiling
Measurement is the first step in hanging curtains from a drop ceiling. Using the measuring tape, measure both the length of the wall and the length of the drop ceilings. Then measure the length of the ceiling tiles vertically and horizontally.
These measurements allow you to determine the length of the curtain track, as well as the number of clamps and drop ceilings cartridges that you will need. You will need to use at least 1 clamp and cartridge per 10 inches of track for the most support.
Step 2 – Attach the Clamps and Cartridges Together
Step two in hanging curtains from the drop ceiling is attaching the drop ceiling clamps to the ceiling cartridge. The drop ceiling clamp is attached to align with the curtain track ceiling cartridges.
- To attach the clamps and cartridges, you must first remove the screws holding the ceiling clamps in place.
- Then, place the cartridge under the screw holes on each clamp, making sure both screw holes align. The clamp and the cartridge need to be facing the right way.
- The folded side of the clamp needs to face upward so that it can clip onto the drop ceiling rail, while the opening of the cartridge needs to face downward so that the curtain track can clip onto it.
Step 3 – Fix the Curtain Track to the Drop Ceiling
Lift the drop ceiling tiles gently, then attach the clamps from Step 2 to the metal frame of the ceiling. Clip the clamps about 10 inches apart along the metal frame.
After that, insert the curtain track onto the underside of each cartridge.
Step 4 – Secure the Curtain to the Ceiling Using the Hooks
Knowing how to properly attach curtain hooks is an important part of hanging curtains. Once hung, they should be strong enough to hold up the weight of your curtains. Properly placed curtain hooks determine the length of your curtains, and they must be attached correctly to ensure they hang straight and don’t fall down.
Before you start, make sure you have enough curtain hooks. You may find that you need to buy some extra hooks if you don’t have enough supplied with your curtains.
Insert curtain hooks every four pockets or so to ensure the curtains are securely held. How many hooks you need depends on how many pockets your curtain has. Once you have attached the hooks, double-check to make sure they are evenly spaced. Any uneven hooks could cause the curtain to hang unevenly.
When you are happy with the spacing of the hooks it is then time to hang the curtain on your curtain track.
Tips for Hanging Curtains From Drop Ceiling
- When hanging curtains from a drop ceiling, you should disregard the use of a curtain rod. The drop ceilings’ frame does not provide any place for attaching a curtain rod.
- Do not fix the clamps onto the drop ceiling tiles. They are not strong enough to support the weight of the curtain rail and are not designed to do so.
- Do not drill into the metal frame of the drop ceilings. Instead, use special clamps as mentioned above to attach the curtain tracks.
- Be sure to use a sturdy ladder when hanging the curtain. You may also want to ask a friend to help you hold the ladder.
How Much Weight Can You Hang From a Drop Ceiling?
It is not advisable to hang very heavy curtains on a drop ceiling. This is due to the fact that the drop ceiling can only hold so much weight before it collapses. The standard and normal weights to hang a drop ceiling should not weigh more than 16 pounds. This is to avoid pulling down the drop ceiling when the weight becomes too much.