Chalk paint has become a staple for artworks, DIY projects, furniture painting, and other painting jobs. As the paint offers a matt finish with a rustic look, many prefer chalk paints over regular ones for creating a vintage and natural look.
If you have any previous experience of working with chalk paint, you know you’ll need a specific type of brush to apply the paint. The best brushes for chalk paint can be flat or round with natural or synthetic hair. Also, they should feature long bristles that leave behind the smoothest brush strokes.
We went through the most popular brands of the market and rounded up some top-tier chalk paintbrushes for you. From our picks, you’ll be able to find the right paintbrush for all your projects. So let’s get started.
This page contains affiliate links, and as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases which means we receive a small commission when you make a purchase, at zero cost to you.
- 100% natural and smooth bristles
- Ergonomic handle
- All-in-1 brush set: Variety of sizes + shapes
- For heavier paints, chalk finish paints, mineral, milk paint, wax + top coats
- Spreads paint smoothly over wood, metal, plastic, fabric, ceramic, or glass
- Minimal shedding
- Natural bristles paintbrush
- Easily gripped wooden handle
- High paint pick and release
- Compatible with many types of chalked paints
- Polyester-blend bristles
- Accommodates all types of paints, stains, and finishes
- Reinforced wood handle offers a comfortable, steady hold
- Durable construction
- Works with all brands of painting or wax
- Premium synthetic bristles
- Large oval chalk paintbrush tip
- Lightweight, ergonomic wood handle
- 2-in-1 chalk or wax brush
- Compatible with various chalk paints
- 100% natural bristles
- Low shedding design
- Holds more paint than flat paintbrushes
- Simple to clean
7 Best Brushes for Chalk Paint
- 1 7 Best Brushes for Chalk Paint
- 1.1 1. INFINITI ELEMENTZ NOVASAT Chalk Brush
- 1.2 2. Vintage Tonality Pro Chalk Paint Set
- 1.3 3. SMARTVISION CO Chalk Paint Set
- 1.4 4. Amazon Basics 3″ Flat Edge Master Pro Paint Brush
- 1.5 5. Colorantic Professional Synthetic Brushes
- 1.6 6. Tatler & Tatum Natural Bristle Chalk Paint Brush
- 1.7 7. DIYARTZ Chalk Paint Brushes
- 2 Wrapping Up!
As you might know, chalk paint brushes vary in size and shape to match diverse needs. Also, both synthetic and natural hair brushes are available. In our list, we have included all types of brushes so that you can ultimately choose one as per your requirements.
In terms of delivering top-quality paintbrushes, INFINITI ELEMENTZ is one brand that has been leading the market. This particular set includes 2 pieces of versatile and heavy-duty brushes for chalk paint.
With the two brushes, you can easily do pretty much any project you want. The smaller brush will help you to reach more tight spaces, edges, and dents for precise application. Also, you can do more delicate designs with it.
On the other hand, the large round brush allows you to easily complete larger projects. Whether you’re painting your walls or large kitchen cabinets, the brush will help you to complete the task in the shortest time.
Both the brushes come with a smooth and lightweight wooden handle. This ergonomic handle helps you to work for hours without straining your wrists. Thanks to the natural bristles, the brush offers maximum paint absorption and retention. Hence, you need to put less effort to achieve a smooth finish.
Since the brushes are made for chalk paint, there will be no drips, streaks, or uneven patches while painting a surface. You can use this versatile brush set for various projects, including DIY arts, crafts, walls, wooden surfaces, cabinets, furniture, etc.
The brushes are designed for heavy-duty purposes. Hence, you can wash them after every project and reuse them for years. This way, both your money and time are saved.
- Set includes two round brushes for versatile usage
- Suitable for both larger projects and smaller intricate designs
- Lightweight wooden handles prevent hand fatigue
- Offers a smooth finish without any streaks or patches
- Bristles of the smaller brush tend to fall apart
This brush set is an overall great choice for painting large projects and waxing your furniture. With this set, you’ll be able to complete your tasks in the shortest possible time.
Do you want all the necessary items for your DIY artworks at an affordable price? Then we have just the right brush set for you. This 12-piece set from Vintage Tonality is designed for chalk paint and has everything you need to complete your projects with perfection.
To ensure a comfortable grip, the handles of all three paintbrushes are beaver-tailed. Also, high-quality beech wood is used for manufacturing the handles that provide maximum durability. While the large round brush covers a wide area with each stroke, the smaller one makes more detailed designs.
Apart from the small and large round brushes, a medium-sized pointed brush is also provided for delicate applications, stenciling, and covering the hard-to-reach areas. The brushes feature a metal ferrule with a rust-resistant nickel finish.
Due to the metal finish, the ferrule will remain unaffected even if you wash the brushes regularly. This ferrule holds the bristles strongly in their place for minimizing the chances of shedding.
What makes this set truly special is the provided accessories. The package includes 9 various tools needed to complete any DIY project.
Stir stick, sand block, hand gloves, and palette knife are some of the immensely helpful tools for hassle-free preparation. Soap and other cleaning equipment are also provided for easing up the cleaning process.
- Includes 3 brushes and 9 helpful tools for complete preparation
- Features a beaver-tailed handle providing a comfortable grip
- Package includes a pointed brush for stenciling and stamping
- A metal-finished ferrule prevents shedding
- The bristles might have an unpleasant smell
You can purchase this complete package if you’re used to doing DIY projects regularly. This package will save you a lot of money and other hassles.
If you’re a novice chalk painter, you need a simple and durable set for decent coverage. The SMARTVISION CO Chalk and Wax Paint Set offers a great combo for all types of chalk paint and art projects.
As the brushes feature natural bristles, the absorption properties of the brushes are higher than the synthetic ones. Hence, you’ll be able to pick up a generous amount of paint without any drips or mess. And that’s an important factor because chalk paint is usually thicker than any regular paint.
The wooden handles are made from birch wood with a contoured shape ensuring an ergonomic and comfortable grip. With these handles, you’ll have better control over your work. Also, the handles will reduce hand fatigue, allowing you to work longer.
To prevent shedding, each brush features a rust-resistant nickel-plated ferrule. However, sometimes the bristles tend to stick out while you’re painting on a surface. In that case, you can simply trim the bristles and get rid of them.
In a set, you get a 2.5-inch oval brush and a thinner rounded brush. The wooden handles are varnished to make them more attractive. Also, both the handles feature a hanging rope for easy storage.
- Natural bristles for high absorption and mess-free performance
- Contoured wooden handles reduce muscle fatigue
- A nickel-plated ferrule prevents shedding
- Features a hanging rope for better storage
- Some bristles tend to stick out
This simple set is an excellent starter kit for amateur chalk painters. It will allow you to complete your projects without comprising your comfort.
This one is a fantastic option for chalk paint projects. The brush is made of Polyester-blend bristles that are designed to hold up to chalk paint without shedding. Since the bristles are made from high-quality materials that are durable, this brush is a wise investment for any serious DIYer.
The reinforced wood handle is comfortable to grip and the ferrule is tightly secured, so there is no risk of the bristles coming loose during use. The brush has a flat edge that makes it easy to achieve a smooth, even finish on chalk paint projects.
I like the fact that it’s reusable and cleanup is also a breeze – just rinse the brush with warm water, dry it and it’s ready to go for next time.
Also, versatility is one of the key features of this item. You can use it on walls, ceilings, doors, decks, and other surfaces.
That said, the price is a bit on the high end considering the price of other competitors. However, its overall quality makes it worth the price.
- The Polyester-blend bristles are top-notch and will last long
- Take minutes to clean the brush
- Can be used on a wide range of surfaces
- Flat edge is really helpful for even finish
- A bit pricey
Overall, it’s an excellent choice for anyone looking for a high-quality brush for chalk paint. I’m very impressed with this brush and would highly recommend it.
Looking for a low-cost brush for doing your once-in-a-while art jobs? Then you should check out the Colorantic Professional Synthetic Brushes for chalk paint.
While many synthetic brushes fail to perform well with chalk paint, this one will never fail to impress. The bristles are soft and flexible allowing you to work on various surfaces. Moreover, these synthetic hairs are boiled twice to make them strong and highly durable.
With such softness of the bristles, you’ll be able to pick up just the right amount of chalk paint and make perfect strokes without any runs or streaks. Plus, the oval shape of the tip makes it easier to complete larger projects by reducing both time and effort.
Although we picked the 10-inch oval purple brush for this review, you can choose from 6 other colors, sizes, and shapes to fulfill all your requirements. Due to the long and lightweight handle, the brush is easier on your wrists, allowing you to cover a large surface with each stroke.
Since the brush is reusable, you can easily clean it with regular soap and water. Otherwise, you can wash it with the Colorantic brush soap or wax for the best results.
- Soft and flexible bristles all types of paints and surfaces
- Made from twice-boiled synthetic to improve bristle integrity
- Large, oval-shaped wooden handles are fast and efficient
- Reusable and easy to clean with soap and water
- The slim handle might not suit everyone
If you’re an irregular chalk painter, you can choose this pocket-friendly brush to complete your large projects faster and more efficiently.
A list of the top-tier paintbrushes is incomplete without the brand Tatler & Tatum. So we picked a pure bristle round paintbrush from the brand that’s compatible with chalk paint, finishing wax, and milk paint as well.
Without a doubt, the impressive low-shedding design is the main highlight of this brush. A unique high-strength epoxy is used to densely pack the bristles and hold them together. Therefore, the bristles will rarely be shedding even if you use and wash the brush regularly.
In comparison to the flat brushes, this round brush can hold a huge amount of paint and wax. Be it a thick paint like chalk paint or a thinner paint like milk paint, the brush works perfectly with all types of paint. With this brush, you’ll be able to paint your furniture and cabinets within a very short time.
As for the handle, it’s long and thick to ensure a strong grip. However, many users find it bulky and somewhat difficult to maneuver. The bristles of this brush are 100% natural, making each stroke smooth as butter. Hence, you’ll be able to give a modern matte finish to your projects or a more rustic look as well.
- A strong epoxy makes the bristles stronger for long-lasting performance
- Minimal shedding of bristles makes it ideal for regular use
- Works with all types of paints and wax
- Costs less than most chalk paint brushes
- The handle is slightly thicker and bulkier than regular ones
The low-shedding design makes this brush an ideal choice for regular uses. You can choose this all-purpose paintbrush if you’re used to working with different types of paints.
To wrap up with a bang, we have chosen a complete DIY brush set for you. The DIYARTZ brush set consists of 6 paintbrushes of several sizes and shapes for your small and large chalk paint projects.
In this incredible set, you get 1 large round brush with two smaller flat and oval brushes for stamping and stenciling. These two small brushes are excellent to cover narrow spaces and create highlighted edges with bold colors.
You also get two wide and unique shaped flat and round brushes that allow you to easily work on wider spaces. Altogether, this versatile brush set has everything you need to complete any DIY projects and paint your furniture most conveniently.
Thanks to the sturdy metal ferrules, the bristles are held in place rigidly for effectively preventing shedding. The ferrules feature a nickel coating to resist rust and corrosion over time. So, you can use these brushes for decades without any concerns at all.
The best part? DIYARTZ offers you this incredible brush set at the most affordable price. Made from 100% natural boar hair, the paint retention of the brushes will surely impress you. The ergonomically designed wooden handles will help you achieve the best outcomes without putting in much effort.
- A complete set of 6 brushes of various shapes & sizes
- Suitable for both small and large DIY projects
- A strong epoxy glue packs the bristles tightly in place
- The nickel-coated ferrule prevents rust and corrosion
- Brushes can be difficult to clean
A cost-effective option for all your smaller designs and large-scale projects. Purchase this complete brush set to give your artwork a professional look.
Now you know everything about the best brushes for chalk paint. In our list, we have included the finest paintbrushes of various sizes and shapes. If you’re looking for a simple brush set with a durable design, Annie Sloan will be an overall great choice.
DIYARTZ offers you the most convenient brush set of many different shapes. In case you’re on a budget, go for Tatler & Tatum for the best results.