What kind of paint do you use on shelves? Because of its better coverage and ability to withstand scuffs and wear, gloss paint is the best choice for high-use areas, such as pantry shelves. Gloss paint is also easier to maintain as it will stand up to repeated cleaning from the inevitable spills.
How do you paint over wood shelves?
- Assemble the shelves before painting.
- Strip away old paint, if desired, using gel paint stripper.
- Sand the wood with a disc sander.
- Apply a coat of primer paint to the entire set of shelves.
- Paint the undersides of the shelves.
- Do the back and sides of the shelves (if any) once the underside is dry.
Can I paint my wood shelves? You can use paint to dress up a solid wood or particle board shelf to make it more modern or playful. Wood absorbs paint, so an already painted bookshelf requires some preparation before you can grab the brush and get started. An unpainted shelf is ready for painting with little to no preparation.
What kind of paint do you use to paint a bookshelf? Acrylic is a great paint to use for a bookshelf. Latex paints, which are commonly used for walls, can sometimes remain tacky, which isn’t good for putting books on. Stir your paint to make sure it’s all a consistent color and test it on some scrap wood.