What is the healthiest type of cutting board?
- Plastic is said to be the most sanitary cutting board material.
- Wooden cutting board is a renewable resource and is more durable.
- More bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface.
What wood is safe for cutting boards? Bamboo cutting boards are harder and less porous than hardwoods. Bamboo absorbs very little moisture and resists scarring from knives, so they are more resistant to bacteria than other woods.
Why are wooden cutting boards not recommended? No matter which wood you choose, the biggest problem with most wooden cutting boards is they absorb juices from meats. This can lead to dangerous bacteria growth. Food safety organizations usually recommend using a nonporous cutting board for raw meat, like plastic.
What is the most eco friendly cutting board?
- Recycled paper – We’ve written about PaperStone recycled paper counters; the same material can also be turned into durable cutting boards.
- Recycled plastic – Cutting boards made from recycled plastic are affordable, lightweight, and easy to clean.