What is the easiest way to remove a cast iron bathtub?
How do you remove a cast iron tub without breaking it?
- Shut off the water supply to the tub.
- Open tub faucet to drain water remaining in supply lines.
- Remove screws securing the plate covering the overflow assembly.
- Work loose the lever hook and take it out.
- Take out the drain stopper.
How much does it cost to remove a cast iron tub? Cast Iron Tub Removal Cost. To remove a standard cast iron tub, you can expect to pay anywhere from $255-$395. Based on where the tub is location in the home or on the property, your cost could be more.
How do you remove an old cast iron tub from a small bathroom?
- 1 What is the easiest way to remove a cast iron bathtub? – Additional Questions
- 1.1 How heavy is a cast iron tub?
- 1.2 How much do old cast iron tubs weigh?
- 1.3 How do you take a bathtub out of a small bathroom?
- 1.4 Can you cut a cast iron tub with a Sawzall?
- 1.5 How do you remove an old metal tub?
- 1.6 Can you cut a cast iron bath with a grinder?
- 1.7 How do I know if my tub is cast iron?
- 1.8 How do you break cast iron?
- 1.9 How do you move a heavy bathtub?
- 1.10 Can you have a cast iron tub on the second floor?
- 1.11 How much does it cost to move a bathtub?
- 1.12 How much does a 5 foot clawfoot tub weigh?
- 1.13 Do clawfoot tubs increase home value?
- 1.14 Are clawfoot tubs worth anything?
- 1.15 Are clawfoot tubs hard to get in and out of?
- 1.16 Are clawfoot tubs outdated?
- 1.17 When did clawfoot tubs go out of style?
- 1.18 How much does it cost to redo a clawfoot tub?
- 1.19 Is Reglazing a tub a good idea?
- 1.20 Does Miracle Method hold up?
- 1.21 Are old bathtubs worth anything?
What is the easiest way to remove a cast iron bathtub? – Additional Questions
How heavy is a cast iron tub?
How heavy is a cast iron tub? Depending on its size, an iron tub can easily weigh 350-500 pounds or more when empty.
How much do old cast iron tubs weigh?
Cast iron bathtubs typically weigh between 240 and 500 pounds; however, the actual weight depends on the size and type of bathtub. Alcove cast iron bathtubs are usually 60 inches long, hold 32 gallons of water, and weigh 320 pounds on average.
How do you take a bathtub out of a small bathroom?
- Choose Your Tub. Before you begin, measure your current bathtub alcove around the shower walls.
- Turn Off the Water.
- Disconnect the Drain Flange and Overflow Cover.
- Disconnect the Drain Assembly.
- Separate the Tub from the Wall.
- Remove the Tub.
- Dispose of the Old Tub.
- Set the New Tub Into Place.
Can you cut a cast iron tub with a Sawzall?
The easiest and most versatile saw for this type of cutting is the reciprocating saw or “sawzall”. Blades are available up to nearly a foot in length, making it easy to cut most anything. Just don’t cut through the floor or your plumbing! Start with two cuts across the width of the tub, dividing the tub into thirds.
How do you remove an old metal tub?
Can you cut a cast iron bath with a grinder?
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR CUTTING CAST-IRON TUBS
Please note that there are several differences when cutting out a cast-iron tub compared to a fiberglass or steel tub. The side-grinder with a 4.5” diamond blade is the only tool used when cutting a cast-iron tub.
How do I know if my tub is cast iron?
1) Remove the overflow cover and popup lever from the head end of the tub and look at the edge of the hole. You should see black cast iron or bright steel. Also, if you remove the overflow cover, the material between it and the plumbing will be about 1/4 ” thick if it is cast iron. 1/16″ if it is steel.
How do you break cast iron?
Hit the back of the chisel with a hammer. Move the chisel along the cast iron pieces while striking it with the hammer until the larger pieces break. Continue with the chisel and hammer until the cast iron breaks into manageable pieces.
How do you move a heavy bathtub?
Can you have a cast iron tub on the second floor?
In general, unless there is something wrong with the joist spacing or the wood has rotted, the framing in most houses should be able to support a standard size cast iron tub with no problem.
How much does it cost to move a bathtub?
Cost of Moving the Bathtub
Expect to pay $1,000-$3,000. If your bathroom is located on a concrete slab rather than a raised foundation, you’re looking at the higher end of this range. What is this? If you’re moving the bathtub, someone will need to patch the space where your tub lived before.
How much does a 5 foot clawfoot tub weigh?
A clawfoot tub can be made from acrylic, but a classic clawfoot tub is made of cast iron with a porcelain finish. An empty cast iron tub can weigh between 200 and 400 pounds. Add water and the weight on the floor will increase to between 500 and 900 pounds. And that doesn’t include the bather!
Do clawfoot tubs increase home value?
Yep, per the survey’s participants, homes that had a claw-foot bathtub in the listing sold, on average, for 29 percent above asking price. That’s some serious ROI now, folks.
Are clawfoot tubs worth anything?
Clawfoot tubs prices depend on size and design. Most cost between $500 and $1,500.
Are clawfoot tubs hard to get in and out of?
The main reason installing a clawfoot tub is difficult is because of the tub’s weight. A traditional clawfoot tub is made of cast iron with a porcelain finish, according to Boston Standard Plumbing.
Are clawfoot tubs outdated?
Clawfoot tubs became a part of our collective design vocabulary as a luxury item of the Victorian era. By the 1920’s, they were de rigeur, but by the midcentury, they were outdated, replaced with the more efficient built-in tubs of the 60s and 70s.
When did clawfoot tubs go out of style?
Cast-iron clawfoot tubs with enameled interiors, initially marketed in 1873 for use with livestock, became popular for people by 1885 and remained the style of choice until about 1930.
How much does it cost to redo a clawfoot tub?
Resurfacing a clawfoot tub ranges from $500 to $1,200. If you need to refinish the outside as well as the inside, you’ll pay closer to $1,200. Most clawfoot styles have a porcelain layer on the inside of the tub and exposed cast iron on the outside, which makes them a good candidate for reglazing.
Is Reglazing a tub a good idea?
If your existing bathtub is already in pretty good shape but is covered in minor stains, scratches or other surface imperfections, reglazing is a good option. It’s also ideal for certain types bathtubs.
Does Miracle Method hold up?
With appropriate care and maintenance, Miracle Method refinishing can last up to 15 years or more. The product used creates a chemical bond between old and new surfaces to ensure long-lasting quality.
Are old bathtubs worth anything?
Yes, you can sell your old bathtub. On average, a reused or salvaged bathtub will run anywhere from $300-$1,000, depending on the material and quality of the bathtub.