Is it safe to put bleach in hot water heater? Bleach can be used to disinfect your household plumbing. Clorox bleach can be introduced to a houses’ water system to disinfect the plumbing and hot-water heater. Do this if you notice a bad smell or taste coming from your water.
What is the best way to flush a hot water heater?
- Turn the Knob on Your Hot Water Heater’s Thermostat to “Off”
- Turn Off Gas to Hot Water Heater.
- Turn Off the Cold Water Supply to Hot Water Heater.
- Turn on the Hot Water in a Sink or Tub.
- Connect Garden Hose to Drainage Spigot.
- Turn on Spigot and Drain.
How do I clean the sludge out of my hot water heater?
- Turn the Water Heater Off.
- Turn the Cold Water Valve Off.
- Let the water cool.
- Attach a drain or garden hose to the drain valve on the side of the tank.
- Place the end of the hose in a bucket or drain.
- Turn on a faucet (or two)
- Start draining the tank by turning on the drain valve.
Can I flush my hot water heater myself?