How do you zone out noise?
- Tune out distractions.
- Practice meditation in a noisy environment.
- Pair over-ear headphones with music.
- Move to an area with constant, rather than intermittent, noise.
- Plan your work accordingly.
- Hold yourself to strict deadlines.
Can your brain block out sounds? MIT neuroscientists have now identified a brain circuit that helps us to do just that. The circuit they identified, which is controlled by the prefrontal cortex, filters out unwanted background noise or other distracting sensory stimuli.
How can I block out all noises?
- Use a towel or door sweep to seal the bottom of your bedroom door to drown out living room noise and light.
- Place a bookshelf against the wall that transmits sound to muffle vibrations.
- Place soft rugs over creaky floorboards to dampen noise.
Can you train yourself to sleep through noise? Distract your ears.
Create a classical music playlist and play it softly through noise-cancelling headphones. There are also plenty of white noise and guided meditation apps you can download and play on your phone to help you sleep. If you don’t want to wear headphones while you sleep, try earplugs.