How do you make old door hinges look new?
How do you clean tarnished door hinges? Mix equal parts white vinegar and baking soda in a bowl with steep sides. For example, you could combine two tablespoons vinegar and two tablespoons baking soda. The ingredients will fizz when combined. Dip a soft-bristled brush or a soft cloth in the mix and wipe down the brass hinge for a minute or two.
How do you restore an old hinge?
- Unscrew the hinges from the door or lid. Lift the door from the frame and lean it up against a wall.
- Fill a bucket with hot water and a small amount of dishwashing liquid.
- Scrub the hinges with a medium-bristled brush.
- Rub each part of the hinge with polish and a rag.
- Replace the hinges back on the door or lid.
What do you soak old hinges in? Once you have removed the hardware (and the paint, if necessary), soak it for a few minutes in lukewarm water and a small amount of mild dish soap to remove any dirt or debris.