How do I make labels for keys?
- Print Out the Key Tag Labels PDF. First, download the (free) Key Tag Labels document, which you can find by clicking here.
- Add Lettering and Designs.
- “Laminate” the DIY Key Tag Labels.
- Cut the Tape and Punch Holes.
- Pair the Tags with Keys.
How do I identify a key?
- Name on the key or Lock: Kwikset or Schlage are the most common residential locks and keys.
- Name Abbreviation: Kwikset is “KW” and Schlage is “SC” The most common keyways are KW1 & SC1.
- Name on the lock latch: look at the edge of your door on the latch for a name.
Can you paint keys? The easiest way to paint your keys is to coat them with fingernail polish. But, while trying this, we discovered that only saturated colors or glitter polishes really worked and that keys needed several coats to be brilliantly shiny.
How do you decorate keys?
- Wrap the top of the key in yarn, like Crème de la Craft.
- You can use nail polish to color code keys, as seen on A Bubbly Life.
- Or use glitter polish to give it some sparkle, a la Ramshackle Glam.
- Washi tape (like on Cinema & Spice) makes it easy.