How can you tell if something’s real silver?
- Look for markingsor stamps on the silver. Silver will often be stampedwith 925, 900, or 800.
- Test it with a magnet. Silver, like most preciousmetals, is nonmagnetic.
- Sniff it. Unlike many othermetals, silver is odorless.
- Polish it with a soft white cloth.
- Put a piece of ice on it.
How do you test silver with vinegar? Some people try to save money by using vinegar instead of acid but vinegar won’t give you accurate results. For this test, you just put a drop of acid on your silver item. If the acid turns the wrong color then it’s fake. If it turns the correct color then the silver is real.
Does a magnet stick to real silver? Conducting a magnet test is another quick and easy way to find out whether a certain silver object is authentic. Similar to other precious metals, pure silver is regarded as nonmagnetic. It exhibits weak magnetism, but the effects shouldn’t be noticeable. Grab a magnet and see if it’s drawn to the item in question.
How do you test silver to make sure it’s silver? The Nitric Acid Test is used to check if silver is pure or plated. To do so, file a small part of the item in a discreet area where it cannot be seen. Apply a few drops of nitric acid. If the area turns into creamy white, the silver is pure or sterling.