Can you use oven cleaner on cast iron? However, for heavily rusted cast iron, you’ll need to be a little more aggressive: Fill the pan with hot, soapy water, then scrub with a steel-wool pad or, better yet, a metal chain-mail scrubber. If that doesn’t work, take the pan outside and spray it with oven cleaner.
Can I use Easy Off oven cleaner on cast iron? Step one is to spray a heavy layer of Easy Off oven cleaner on the cast iron. This can be used to clean off heavy carbon build up, but will not remove rust. This method is completely safe and washing the cast iron in soap and water will remove all the lye from the piece.
What should you not clean cast iron with?
- Avoid abrasive scrubbers like scouring pads or steel wool.
- Make sure to use warm water for a hot cast iron pan, because submerging a hot pan in cold water can cause it to crack.
How do you remove heavy buildup from cast iron?
- Sprinkle an even layer of salt on the inside of the pan.
- Add just enough water to make a paste and rub the salt on the inside surface of the cast-iron pan to scour off carbon.
- Rinse the pan and scrub any remaining carbon off with a wire scrub brush.