Can I use my garage attic for storage? To answer your question, the garage attic is not a good area for storage. First a truss, a manufactured roof system, is designed to support the roofing above and the ceiling below. If the attic is to be used for storage, the truss would have to be designed for the additional weight.
How do I store things in my garage attic? Unless you’re sure the space is sealed up tight, keep those products out of the attic. Pack your storage items into sturdy, plastic boxes with snug-fitting lids, not in cardboard. The plastic bins will protect them better. Other good options: ceramic, glass, metal and other containers that are non-biodegradable.
What should not be stored in an attic?
- Paints, cleaning products, or other toxins.
- Anything that is highly flammable.
- Delicate holiday decorations.
- Art is never good to store in the attic.
- Leather products.
- Cardboard boxes.
- Musical instruments.
- Anything wool (or made from natural fibers)
What items are OK to store in an attic?
- Seasonal Decorations and Goods. Assortment of Christmas ornaments.
- Household Items. Assortment of camping gear next to tent.
- Off-Season or Outgrown Clothing. Young woman packing out of season clothes in suitcase.
- Books and Toys. Woman packing boxes of books.